Thursday, March 16, 2006

Some Career Advice...

Are there any basketball fans that remember Walter Bond? He is a former player at the University of Minnesota that went on to a career in the NBA through determination and dedication to a goal. I met Walter several years ago and worked with him as keynote at a conference that I was helping with. He is a great speaker and a great guy. When I read this e-mail from him I couldn't help sharing it with you... It echoes what I have been saying to child care professionals for years...
Succeeding on Purpose!
by Walter Bond

If you don't absolutely love what you do quit!!!!! I mean this statement with all my heart, this is not meant to be a challenge but an opportunity for you to live out your purpose. I believe that God put you on this earth to do something special, you shouldn't rest until you find out exactly what that is.

I have found in my travels as a speaker and consultant that many people struggle to discover what their "true" purpose really is. I have motivated people for years not to have a job but a career. It sounds great and does have some merit but I want to take my approach to this matter to another level. I want to quantify my new perspective with a statement. You don't want to find a job, you don't even want to find a career, the key to your life is to discover your purpose.

There were many years I dreamed of becoming a professional athlete in the NBA. Once, I achieved it (and cashed a few checks) I learned that it wasn't nearly as rewarding as I thought it would be. Why? It wasn't my purpose. I became a job recruiter and did that for less than two months and quickly quit. Next I tried broadcasting for the Minnesota Timberwolves for a couple of years, enjoyed it, but something was missing with this too. One day someone handed me a microphone and a room full of people, and the experience for me was priceless. This time I realized that I had finally found my purpose. My plan is to motivate, inspire and train people the rest of my life.

Your natural thought right know should be, Walter how do I know if I have found my purpose? There are a few keys to let you know when you have found your purpose. First of all you'll love what you do so much you would be willing to do it for free. Second it serves mankind, third and most importantly you just couldn't see yourself nor want to see yourself doing anything else. If what you do currently don't line up with these three keys, quit. If you don't absolutely love what you do quit. There is some industry out
there that is waiting for you to "show up."

How about you? Do you love what you are doing? Is working with children your purpose in life? I sincerely hope so... If this is true, then you are well on your way to becoming a success!

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home
Free web site stats