Tuesday, July 04, 2006


Is preschool important to the future of a child? This graduating high school student certainly seems to think so. Read his commentrary about how his life is improved by quality early education. This article is from New Life Media.

Who Asked Us? Preschool Laid a Foundation
New America Media, Youth Commentary,

John Springer, Jun 05, 2006

Editor's Note: A recent high school graduate remembers the base that his preschool years established for his academic career. John Springer is 18 years old and will be attending UCSD in the fall.

SAN FRANCISCO--Nap time. Snack time. Free time. Silent time. There are many "times" in preschool that I remember adoringly. Looking back on my early years in this world, I can see that my years in preschool were essential to my personal development.

I went to a public preschool in Alameda called The ABC School. My parents had always been sure I was headed to preschool, as my sister had gone as well. However, for me, walking to ABC school with my mom was a scary experience in the beginning. I had never been too far away from my parents before, and it was hard for me to accept a new life with strangers. Strangers who would make me do bizarre things like sleep during the day, sing about twinkling stars and little lambs and memorize 26 different squiggly figures each with their own sound.

Before my years in preschool, I had never been very social with anyone outside of my family. The group activities at school forced me to become closer with some of my peers. It helped me develop some of the early social skills I would need in grade school. I honestly believe that because of preschool, it was easier for me to make friends in kindergarten. I became much more comfortable with interacting with new people, as my mom recalls how much I would freely converse with people around me. The shyness that I had before ABC school was forever lost to freeze tag and show and tell. I think children need this experience to gain their individuality and learn to make it on their own in the unfamiliar confines of a classroom.

I even remember getting bullied at ABC school. While being teased was not fun, it served as another learning experience. When my teachers saw the boy giving me a hard time, they encouraged me to stand up for myself. Preschool taught me how to react to common situations like this on an every-day basis. These were lessons I just could not learn at home.

While swinging on the monkey bars with the crew was always fun, I also remember learning my ABCs, my number system and how to spell my name.These were all important skills that I would eventually need in kindergarten. It ultimately helped me start ahead of those who hadn't gone to preschool and hadn't learned these basic but necessary lessons. While daycare programs can help a child develop social skills, they do not provide the important lessons that help shape the young academic mind. If there is any correlation between going to preschool and grades later on in life, then why would anybody not want an opportunity to send their child to preschool? It's sad to think that for many families today, preschool isn't a sure thing.

Proposition 82, the Preschool for All Act, guarantees a preschool program for all California families. Preschools today lack the funding and the space for many young children hoping to get an early start to their education. In my opinion, everyone deserves an equal start to his or her academic life. With the alarming rate of high school dropouts, something needs to be done about the current state of education in California. Why not turn to the early stages of our school system to help solve the issues that our society is encountering further down the road?


Interesting commentary...
By the way, hope that you are having a wonderful Independance Day holiday today...


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home
Free web site stats