Friday, June 08, 2007

Anti Child Care Site...

I will seldom bring attention to an anti-child care site, but this site really upsets me. I can't imagine what horrible experience they may have had in child care to give them the incentive to take the work, time, expense, and effort to put this online. According to their self promotion:

Everyone knows it’s true… but almost everyone’s afraid to say it: Daycare institutions don’t care about or love your child like you do.

For years, many experts have been warning us about the detrimental consequences for children placed in day care.

This website contains an extensive index of publications about daycare from well-known child development authorities, psychologists, psychiatrists, pediatricians, public policy analysts, sociologists, daycare providers, and others.

This collection of day care information seeks to counterbalance the relentless pressure placed upon parents to abandon their children to these impersonal institutions.


In my opinion, this is blatantly false. In fact, many family child care programs tend to treat children as their own. I know that often the hardest part of this job is maintaining the line between personal feelings and the professional business aspect.

I will agree that there are many poor child care facilities, but there are many more poor parents. As a percentage, I think that we would find that child care providers are more often competent and knowledgeable about children than are most parents. While it may be true that a child may be better off with truly wonderful parents and family life, the reality is that this is not the usual situation. It's like home-schooling... it can be a wonderful expereince for the right people, but it just is not for everyone.

People like this website owner should end the guilt trips that they are trying to lay on parents that choose for their children to participate in a child care program. For every so called "expert" and every study they present "proving" that child care is harmful to children, I could find studies and experts to refute such allegations. I firmly believe that more children are socially and emotionally scarred by bad parenting than by bad child care...

The goal is for children to be in a good, high-quality child care facility where they can flourish, grow, and thrive as they grow and develop. That is why I do what I do and hopefully the same is true for you.

Okay, I'm now off my soapbox...

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home
Free web site stats