Monday, October 08, 2007

Child Care Environment...

So how was your weekend? I spent most of the weekend rearranging and reorganizing my child care facility. The recent rainy weather has reminded me that soon we will be having more "indoor time" than "outdoor time". It was time to make some changes, bring out some different toys, and adjust the "space". I am lucky to be able to do this because my child care facility is our walk-out basement and the space is used exclusively for my business.

I don't often make a lot of changes to the child care environment because children like consistency and familiarity, but occasional change can create some excitment and keep things fresh, interesting, and inviting.

If you are looking for some suggestions for improving various environments in your learning center, I recommend checking out the information at Discount School Supply. I am not necessarily promoting their products (though good), but their website contains a wealth of information about classroom environments and how you can make a big difference in the look and efficiency of your classroom for less money than you'd expect.

The plus to the extra work? I think they say it best...

Once you begin to create an environment that focuses on the needs, personalities
and interests of your children, you may notice other changes. Children may begin
to demonstrate more responsibility by caring for materials. They may begin to
interact in news ways with each other and be more interested in the activities
and materials provided. Whether it is a space for quiet reflection or an open
space in the room for growing minds and projects, the environment will reflect
your expectations for how daily learning occurs.
AND it makes me feel better! It helps keep things interesting and fun for me as well.

By the way... Happy Columbus Day! Some quick activity links...

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home
Free web site stats