Friday, May 15, 2009

Time for Graduations...

Well we finally made it to Friday again. I hope your week has been a good one. Tomorrow morning, my husband and I (and the kids) leave for Jamaica... Yep, Jamaica, Iowa. Population around 225 people plus a few dogs. I don't think there is any possibility of getting in some snorkeling... We are going down for the weekend to attend my niece's high school graduation. Yes, it is that time of year when the graduation invitations start coming.

What I really enjoy is getting graduation announcements from children that I used to care for in child care. I've been doing this for a few years now, so I get a some every year. I have a couple of these invitations for graduation parties this year and while it is a vivid reminder that I am not getting any younger, it is a joy to visit with the parents again and talk to the children who are now young adults but still have memories of life at child care. It's one of those satisfying intangibles that make this job worthwhile.

People may not remember who was President when they were a toddler or who won the NBA MVP when they were in preschool, but they remember the special people who cared for them, taught them, and helped them grow. I think that this is important for us to think about on those days when nothing seems to go right and the children have you at wit's end. (Yes, those days do occasionally happen to us all.) When you're not sure what to do next, think about how the child may remember this the rest of their lives and it will help influence what you do.

Brings to mind a poem that I really enjoy titled The Dash...
I read of a man who stood to speak
at the funeral of a friend.
He referred to the dates on her tombstone
from the beginning... to the end.
He noted that first came her date of birth
and spoke the following date with tears,
But he said what mattered most of
all was the dash between those years.

For that dash represents
all the time that she spent alive on earth...
And now only those who loved
her know what that little line is worth.
For it matters not how much we
own;the cars... the house... the cash.
What matters is how we live and
love and how we spend our dash.

So think about this long and hard...
Are there things you'd like to change?
For you never know how much
time is left,that can still be rearranged.
If we could just slow down enough
to consider what's true and real;
and always try to understand
the way other people feel.

And be less quick to anger,
and show appreciation more
And love the people in our lives
like we've never loved before.
If we treat each other with respect,
and more often wear a smile...
Remembering that this special dash
might only last a while.

So, when your eulogy's being read
With your life's actions to rehash...
Would you be proud of the things they say
about how you spent your dash?

Hey, have a good weekend and I'll talk to you on Monday!

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home
Free web site stats