Monday, June 08, 2009

Got Milk?...

I can't believe that I missed National Donut Day last Friday... I was so excited about Gingerbread Day that I just missed it. Oh well, guess I'l just have to put it on the calendar for next year.

Today I want to mention that June is Dairy Month. June Dairy Month first became part of American culture in 1937. It started as National Milk Month, and many chain stores sponsored events to promote drinking milk.

Why should we take note? Well, if you are in the child care profession, I would bet that buying milk is a weekly (or more often) hobby. Dairy products (milk, cheese, yogurt, etc) are a mainstay of proper daily nutrition for a child. The USDA recommends that children have up to 2 cups of milk (or other calcium rich food) each day. The CACFP (food program) recommends that milk be served at every meal.

So celebrate Dairy Month. Color a special coloring page. Try some dairy craft ideas. Let the kids make their own ice cream. Try some more craft ideas. Try some recipes featuring dairy products. Try some more fun dairy activities and crafts.

Relax. Have a cold glass of milk. Enjoy....

P.S. Just a quick note that tomorrow is Donald Duck's birthday (who was created on June 9, 1934.)

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home
Free web site stats